Magento vs BigCommerce – Which one is a better bet?
Ecommerce Solutions have become an integral part of the existence of various stores. Store owners realize that their existence on the web can add significant value to their business. There are many benefits that one can explore by developing an Ecommerce Solution. Here is a list of some of the solutions:
Reach: With the help of an Ecommerce solution, one can reach out to global audience. This is a considerable improvement over a bricks-and-mortar store which can attract people from a particular locality only.
24/7 Access: An Ecommerce Store can be accessed by the customers 24/7. Therefore, you do not need to be concerned about the most suitable time when your customers can visit you. You can be there for them all throughout the day.
Lower Operational Cost: Because there is no physical store involved in this case, the operational cost plunges to a great extent.
Better Functionalities: An ecommerce store allows the users to do a great variety of things, and it can sometimes exceed the functionalities that a physical store can offer.
Which platform is the best?
There are many platforms that can be used for the development of Ecommerce solutions. However, the two which have significantly picked up in popularity are Magento & Big Commerce. These are the platforms that are being used by most users. Here is an effort to bring out a distinction between the two platforms, and try to know which platform is better than the other:
MAGENTO: This is an open source Ecommerce web application. It was launched in the year 2008, and has since picked up in popularity. Many believe that it is one of the best Ecommerce platforms around. This perception can be because of the high level of customization that it offers. Moreover, there are numerous large players of the industry, who make use of Magento for their Ecommerce solutions.
Features: Here is a list of some of the features that Magento offers:
- It is a tried and tested platform, and that appends a level of certainty to the solution.
- Most of the big brands use it, and that speaks volumes about the solution’s competence.
- There are a myriad of customization options, available with Magento.
- There is a huge template library that can be used by the developers.
- The advanced reporting and analytics tools make it simpler to always stay in control.
BIGCOMMERCE: This is another Ecommerce tool that has been in the news lately. It is believed that it has been installed on over 35,000 stores already, and the number is quickly surging. The platform has been a hit with small business owners, who cannot afford an extravagant solution.
Features: Here are some of the features that BigCommerce puts on the platter:
- It is really easy to set-up and use. Therefore, the developers don’t need previous training to be able to efficiently use it.
- The platform is simple to maintain.
- BigCommerce is cost efficient, and is hence striking a chord with small business owners.
Similarities between the two
Before we engage in deciphering the distinction between the two tools, let us look at the similarities between the two:
1. Both of these tools offer free future software updates. Hence, you do not need to worry about installing the updates for the software.
2. The admin panels of these two tools are simple and user-friendly.
3. Both offer extensive customization.
4. There are several marketing tools that are available with the tools.
Distinction between the two
Here are some of the key differences between Magento and BigCommerce:
1. Customization: When purely looked at from the customization point of view, Magento stands out in comparison to BigCommerce. There are various ways in which one can customize the solution with Magento.
2. Pocket-Friendly: Between the two solutions, BigCommerce comes across as the more pocket friendly option. Most large companies, with big budgets, make use of Magento. However, the small and medium companies, who are looking for an effective solution within their budget, prefer BigCommerce.
3. Maintenance: With regards to set-up and maintenance of the Ecommerce platform, BigCommerce outscores Magento. It is lucid and just the right platform for someone who is on the lookout for ease.
4. Template Library: As mentioned earlier, Magento has an extensive library of templates. However, BigCommerce does not match this number.
5. Analytics: If you aspire to develop detailed reports in a short period of time, Magento is the right choice for you. BigCommerce does not manage to offer the same level of reporting & analytics standard.
6. Design & Updates: While Magento’s design options are wider, BigCommerce’s updates are easier to use and learn.
In short, there is one tool that can be identified as better than the other. They both serve different needs, and do a pretty good job at that.
People Ops & Marketing Strategist: Leader with 15+ years of experience in Organizational Capability Building and Marketing Success.
Additionally he also loves blogging and sharing his thoughts to help the community.