Now I am assuming you are very much familiar with the concepts of IoT, elements & architecture of IoT and the devices & technologies associated with IoT. In this article, lets discuss and see how can we leverage IoT and apply to our daily routine to assist us.
Applications of IoT
- Home security
IoT sensors can be used to detect objects in car parking and home compound. Security alarms can be setup using IoT to secure home from stealing and thief. In short, Smart Homes!
- Lighting control
Light sensors can be put to detect frequency of sun light and based on that IoT system can automatically turn the lights on/off of the home. By sensing temperature, same can be done for Air conditioners also.
- Fire detection – Leak detection
Fire detection system is well known example of IoT system. It can be smarter by implementing it part wise / area wise. E.g. It should only start showering water in a particular part of home where the fire is detected.
- Energy efficiency
This system can be merged with Lighting control system to save electricity based on sunlight availability.
- Solar panel monitoring and control
Solar panels can automatically change its angle or direction based on sun’s position and this can become one of the smartest systems to get more natural energy.
- Clinical Care
For hospitalized patients who need continuous attention, IoT-driven monitoring systems can be used to collect physiological information. This information can then be sent to doctors, nurses and caregivers for further review. It provides a continuous automated flow of information.
IoT systems are used even in Energy sectors for efficient utilization of energy. As information available on Wikipedia, two known devices used for smart energy utilization are,
- Smart grid
A smart grid is a modernized electrical grid that uses analog or digital information and communications technology to gather and act on information – such as information about the behaviors of suppliers and consumers – in an automated fashion to improve the efficiency, reliability, economics, and sustainability of the production and distribution of electricity.
- Smart meter
A smart meter is usually an electronic device that records consumption of electric energy in intervals of an hour or less and communicates that information at least daily back to the utility for monitoring and billing. Smart meters enable two-way communication between the meter and the central system. Unlike home energy monitors, smart meters can gather data for remote reporting.
- A very efficient application of IoT is using it into smart cars. The sensors attached to the cars will analyze the status of different car parts. E.g. tire pressure, engine temperature, sun light availability, car internal temperature, etc. Attached parking sensors also can analyze traffic on road and keeps driver updated for the routes.
- Growing field of IoT positively affects businesses. Businesses on different locations are now easy to manage in terms of human resources and inventory. Data is centralized so the data mining and warehousing is easy.
- Same as businesses, connecting government to different IoT systems collects large data and centralizes it for easy information generation and analysis. Different government departments connect each other for their data interdependencies. Implementation of IoT devices in government will result into easy service to citizens.
- Crop monitoring
Sensors can be used to monitor crops health, nutrition in plants, and fertilizer status in sand, pests and disease in plant.
- Crop safety
Making crop safe from extra level of chemicals and pests finally make Food healthy and safe.
- Climate monitoring
Sensors can be used to monitor temperature, humidity, light intensity and soil moisture. These data can be used by centralized system to trigger automated water start/stop.
Other than these fields, there are various sectors where IoT system are used and also can be used in future. Logistics, Defense, Shipping, Travelling, Space missions, etc.
So these were some of the examples of IoT systems that can change the way how we work everyday. Infact few of them are already developed and functional.
WeblineIndia, an Offshore IoT application development company, has been an early adopter of IoT technology and developed applications based on IoT.
If you are looking for getting developed any IoT applications,
contact us to leverage the cost advantage by outsourcing to us.